Faith and Healing Affirmations

Faith and Healing Affirmations
CLICK the photo above for FAITH & HEALING AFFIRMATIONS

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Essentials Of The Bible: Part 16 -- God Chooses A People – Abraham Sends His Servant To Find A Wife For Isaac

Arranged marriages in our society are rare.  Parents may hope that their children marry a particular person, but in the end; marriage is an individual choice in democratic countries.  The concept of a father making arrangements for a bride for his son is unheard of in the United States.  Marriage is becoming obsolete and those who do marry face an incredibly high divorce rate.

As we continue in our story of Abraham; we see that Sarah dies in Chapter 23 at the age of 127 years old.  Abraham then calls on a servant to go back to his family and his relatives to find a wife for his son Isaac. 

Genesis 24:2-4 And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh:  (3)  And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:  (4)  But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

Abraham is confident that his servant will find a suitable wife for Isaac; believing that God will send an angel ahead of his servant to actually choose the right bride.  Abraham has learned in his old age to completely trust God in all matters of his life; believing that God’s plan will prevail and the LORD will order the steps of his son; through whom the promises would be fulfilled.  He knows how important details are to God and in selecting a wife for Isaac.  Through their children, God would bless the entire world, “in them shall all of the families of the earth be bless.”

Genesis 24:7 The LORD God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence.

When Abraham selected his “eldest servant” for this task, he was selecting his most trusted servant.  This man knows the faith of Abraham and has observed him worship throughout his lifetime.  His servant prays to God to find the right woman; but his prayer refers to the LORD as the God of his master Abraham.  This seems odd; that the servant had been around such a man of faith; had seen miracles; and yet does not refer to the LORD as his own God.

Genesis 24:11-12 When he got there, he let the camels rest near the well outside the city. It was late afternoon, the time when the women came out for water.  (12)  The servant prayed: You, LORD, are the God my master Abraham worships. Please keep your promise to him and let me find a wife for Isaac today.

The servant makes a deal with God that the woman at the well, who offers him a drink of water and also offers water for his camels; that she would be the woman the LORD has chosen for Isaac.  And so it happens that a relative of Abraham, Rebecca offers him a drink and offers to water his camels.

Genesis 24:13-19 The young women of the city will soon come to this well for water,  (14)  and I'll ask one of them for a drink. If she gives me a drink and then offers to get some water for my camels, I'll know she is the one you have chosen and that you have kept your promise to my master.  (15)  While he was still praying, a beautiful unmarried young woman came by with a water jar on her shoulder. She was Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel, the son of Abraham's brother Nahor and his wife Milcah. Rebekah walked past Abraham's servant, then went over to the well, and filled her water jar. When she started back,  (17)  Abraham's servant ran to her and said, "Please let me have a drink of water."  (18)  "I'll be glad to," she answered. Then she quickly took the jar from her shoulder and held it while he drank.  (19)  After he had finished, she said, "Now I'll give your camels all the water they want." She quickly poured out water for them, and she kept going back for more, until his camels had drunk all they wanted.

The servant meets Rebecca’s family and he explains all that had occurred; of his mission and how he had prayed and Rebecca being the answer.  Her family sends her with their blessings and they departed to return to Isaac.  The servant tells Isaac about all that has happen, how God chose Rebecca to be his bride and Isaac accepts her as his wife,

Genesis 24:64-67 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.  (65)  For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.  (66)  And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done.  (67)  And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

Heavenly Father, thank you for calling me into your marvelous plan; and for opening my heart and mind to your truth and way of life.  You are the God of Abraham and you have called me into the promises.  Give me the faith that I need to live in the vision and plan that you have for my life, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment